BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn History
Lahaina Historic District
Lahaina Historic District is a historic district in Lahaina, Hawaii, on the west side of the island of Maui. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1962. At that time it was described:
Long the residence of Maui kings and chiefs, Lahaina preserves the atmosphere of a mid-19th century Hawaiian seaport, when it was a favorite port of call for American whalers. It was also the center of missionary activities.
The Lahaina Historic District includes 9 contributing buildings.
1. Baldwin House, a two-story home used by early missionaries, including Rev. Dwight Baldwin from 1836
2. Old Spring House used for fresh water since 1823
3. Court House completed by 1859
4. Old Prison (Hale Paʻahao), built in 1830s
5. Waineʻe Church (now called Waiola) cemetery with graves of Hawaiian nobility from 1823
6. Hale Aloha once school house and church, built in 1858 and restored in 1980s
7. United States Marine Hospital
8. Maria Lanakila Catholic Church established in 1846, building built in 1858
9. Pioneer Hotel originally built in 1901
1901 Opening of Pioneer Inn